Cleaning might not be your favorite job, but if you have the right tools that make it easier and faster, it can make the task a lot less onerous. One of the newest additions to the range of household tools is the handhold steam cleaner. You might know about steam mops, which can help clean large surfaces, but handheld steam cleaners are compact cleaners that are perfect for small cleaning jobs. Their size makes them easy to store and even easier to use.
The best thing is that using a steam cleaner is an easy way to make your cleaning routine more environmentally friendly. By using the cleaning power of steam, you don’t have to use harsh chemicals or detergents. If you have allergies, you’ll love that steam cleaners can remove dirt and even kill dust mites.
- Our Recommended Handheld Steam Cleaner in 2021
- 10) Cop Rose HD-168 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- 9) Kiato Steam for Cleaning
- 8) AFMAT Handheld Steam Cleaner
- 7) Valemo VH-ST10 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- 6) Handheld Pressurized Steamer Cleaner
- 5) Handheld Steam Cleaner by Comforday
- 4) McCulloch MC1230 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- 3) Comforday Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- 2) PurSteam PS581X
- 1) BISSELL 39N7A
Our Recommended Handheld Steam Cleaner in 2021
10) Cop Rose HD-168 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- ✅Powerful Hot Steam: Powerful steam and lockable steam trigger allow you to continuously blast through the...
- ✅Natural & Multi-Purpose Use: Deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of cleaning things. Our handheld...
- ✅Fast & Effective: 6 oz. water tank heats up in 3 minutes and provides up to 10 minutes of continuous steam....
9) Kiato Steam for Cleaning
- Chemical-free Powerful Steamer: 100% chemical FREE with no harmful fumes or residue. Powerful steam and...
- Natural & Multi-Purpose Use: Deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of cleaning things. Our handheld steam...
- Fast & Effective: 200ML water tank heats up in 3 minutes and provides up to 10 minutes of continuous steam....
8) AFMAT Handheld Steam Cleaner
- SAFE AND HEALTHY: 💕Our handheld steam cleaner for upholstery is 100% natural chemical-free and...
- WIDE RANGE OF APPLICATIONS: 💕This steam cleaner handheld is suitable for cleaning various materials, such...
- 10 IN 1 SET: 💕Our portable steam cleaner includes an exclusive free additional 10 pieces accessory kits...
7) Valemo VH-ST10 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- QUICK & THOROUGH – Heats up in 3 minutes or less for use on a wide variety of surfaces such as waterproof...
- ALL NATURAL – Chemical free steam cleaning removes stains, grease and grime without the use of expensive,...
- LIGHTWEIGHT, USER-FRIENDLY DESIGN – Less than 5 lbs and compact for convenient use anywhere, simply connect...
6) Handheld Pressurized Steamer Cleaner
- Multi-surface use: Works on every surface including laminate, hardwood, fabric, upholstery, ceramic, linoleum,...
- Powerful hot steam - 230℉ Heat and pressure get the job done faster. High pressure 900-1050 watts steamer...
- Safety - The newly upgraded steam device adds a unique child lock and safety cover. You can not worry about...
5) Handheld Steam Cleaner by Comforday
- ★Free 9 Accessories: Our Powerful Handheld Steam Cleaner Set includes an exclusive FREE 9 pieces accessory...
- ★Multi-Purpose Use: Our handheld steam cleaner unit is best suited for sealed surfaces including ceramic,...
- ★Safe: 100% free with no harmful fumes or residue. Includes a safety lock on the handle and a safety cap for...
4) McCulloch MC1230 Handheld Steam Cleaner
- CHEMICAL-FREE CLEANING — Naturally deep clean without the use of harsh chemicals using hot, pressured steam...
- SANITIZE WITH STEAM— With proper application, steam sanitizes by removing germs and bacteria.
- QUICK HEAT-UP TIME — The 6-ounce, direct-fill water tank heats up in under 3 minutes and provides up to 10...
3) Comforday Handheld Pressurized Steam Cleaner
- ★Nine free accessories to adapt cleaner to every situation: Stairs, carpet, clothing, car interior and rims,...
- ★Multi-surface use: Works on every surface including laminate, hardwood, fabric, upholstery, ceramic,...
- ★Chemical free and safe: The Comforday steamer is safe. It is completely chemical free and it is secured...
2) PurSteam PS581X
- 100% ALL-NATURAL STEAM CLEANING: Hot pressurized steam eliminates grease, grime, mold, stains, and bed bugs...
- EASY HANDHELD USE: Lightweight and portable unit comes with a long 9.8-foot cord for convenient indoor and...
- SAFE, MULTI-PURPOSE CLEANING: Safe to use on a wide range of surfaces including ceramic tile, granite,...
1) BISSELL 39N7A
- Every BISSELL purchase helps save pets. BISSELL proudly supports BISSELL Pet Foundation and its mission to...
- Powerful High-Pressure Steam Cleaner With Easy-To-Press Trigger
- Completely Chemical-Free With No Harmful Fumes Or Residue
How to choose the right handheld steam cleaner
With a lot of handheld steam cleaners on the market, it can be hard to work out which one is the right model for you. But by thinking about what you’re going to use for, and looking at the different features, you’ll be able to choose one that will work perfectly for your cleaning routine. When you look at the different cleaners available, ask yourself these questions:
How powerful is it?
When you’re looking at different steam cleaners, you want to pick one that his a high power wattage. You want to choose a handheld steam cleaner with at least 1000W. This will make cleaning larger areas a breeze, and also saves you time because it doesn’t take as long to heat. The higher wattage delivers not only higher temperatures but also more forceful cleaning, meaning that it’s quick and easy to provide a deep clean to your surfaces.
How easy is it to use?
The last thing you need is a cleaner that you dread using because it’s so difficult to use. Light units are easier to move around, so if you have a large space and you think you might have trouble moving a heavy unit around, the lighter unit will be a good option for you. On the other hand, heavier units can clean more deeply, so if you have lots of stubborn dirt you might be happy to trade off a bit of bulk to get the job done.
How big is it?
Handheld steam cleaners range from small, light machines to big, heavy ones. Even within a single brand, machines can vary in size and weight depending on the model. Make sure you research the dimensions and weight of the exact model you’re thinking about, and decide whether it will work well for you. As discussed above, you want to think about whether a lighter unit that’s easier to move, or a bulkier unit that can handle more heavy duty jobs is better for you. You’ll also want to think about where you’re going to store your cleaner, so that you can make sure it’s going to fit in the space you have in mind.
How much does it cost?
You can pick up most steam cleaners on the market for quite a reasonable price – this isn’t a machine that is going to be a big splurge. If you’re an average homeowner just needs a machine to help around the house and doesn’t need all the bells and whistles, a mid-range machine should be right for your needs. On the other hand, if you have lots of space to clean, heavy duty dirt to take care of, or other needs that require specialized features, you might consider spending a bit extra to get a high end steam cleaner.
How big is the water tank?
A steam cleaner is only as good as its water tank. You need water in the tank to produce steam, which means that a smaller tank can run out halfway through a cleaning job, meaning you need to stop, fill up the tank, and wait for it to heat up. Doing this every time you clean is sure to get frustrating, so make sure you choose a model with a tank that’s suitable for your needs. On the other hand, you don’t want to go too big, or it will take too long to heat up at the start. Options to consider include vapor and cylinder steam cleaners, which have large tanks that which mean you can go longer between refills.
What are the temperature and pressure like?
Two of the most important features of any handheld steam cleaner are the temperature and the steam pressure. You want to choose a cleaner that can achieve really high temperatures, as this helps give you higher pressure and dryer steam, which means you can kill more germs and get a deeper clean.
You also want to look for a cleaner that can consistently maintain a high pressure. If you choose a machine that keeps dropping its pressure levels, you will have to keep going over areas to clean them, which will make it a more difficult job.
How noisy is it?
Steam cleaners are usually quieter than other cleaning machines like vacuum cleaners, but some people can still find the noise annoying. If you’re sensitive to noise, do your research to see which models are promoted as being quieter. Check the specifications – some models even list their decibel levels, which will help you work out which machines are quieter and which are louder.
What accessories and attachments come with it?
If you are just looking to clean basic surfaces, you will probably be happy with a steam cleaner that comes with basic attachments. Some cleaners also come with additional accessories sold separately, which is helpful if you only want one or two extra attachments, or if you change your mind down the track and decide you need more. On the other hand, if you have a lot of different cleaning needs, you might want to shop around for a machine that comes with a wider range of accessories and attachments that can be used for all different types of cleaning scenarios.
Tips on Using a Handheld Steam Cleaner
Now that you know what to look for in a handheld steam cleaner, the next thing you need to know is how to use it. Follow these handy steps, and you will be able to get the most out of your steam cleaner to give your home the deepest clean possible.
Wear safe clothing
Steam cleaners are useful, but they can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Steam can cause serious burns on your skin, so you need to make sure you protect yourself with suitable clothing when you’re using your handheld steamer.
Choose the right temperature
Most handheld steam cleaners use different temperatures to clean different surfaces. It’s important that you use the right temperature for the right surface, or you could risk causing damage. Read the manual that comes with your steam cleaner carefully to make sure you’re using the right temperature for whichever surface you’re using, and don’t forget to change the temperature accordingly when you move to a new surface.
Finish up with a cloth
Steam cleaners are great for loosening dirt, but they don’t remove it completely like a vacuum cleaner does. After you’ve finished going over an area with your steam cleaner, you’ll need to wipe over it with a cloth to finish cleaning up the dirt.
Only use the cleaner on appropriate surfaces
Before you use your steam cleaner, you need to make sure you’re using it on surfaces that can handle high heat and steam. Your manual should give you more information on appropriate surfaces. You’ll also want to make sure that the surfaces are sealed, to stop moisture getting in and damaging them. It’s also important to remember that steam continues to exhaust from the steamer after you’ve released the trigger, so make sure it’s not going to damage your plants or other household objects.
Remove any cloths once you’ve finished cleaning
Once you’ve finished cleaning, you’ll be left with damp cloth covers or tool pockets. It’s important to handle these appropriately to avoid mold and mildew developing. Remove any cloths after you’ve finished using the cleaner, and wash, dry and store them according to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
Use the right motion when cleaning
If your cleaner comes with an attached utility brush, it’s best to use a slight back and forth motion to clean your desired surface. As mentioned above, you’ll need to finish cleaning by wiping over with a clean cloth – just make sure the area has cooled down enough that you’re not at risk of burning yourself.
Store your steam cleaner properly
When you spend money on a handheld steam cleaner, you want to make sure you store it correctly so that it lasts you as long as possible. Your steam cleaner will come with instructions on how long you can use it before you run out of water and can no longer generate steam. Once you have finished cleaning, unplug the unit and leave it on a safe, flat surface to cool for at least 30 minutes.
Once it has cooled, carefully press the steam button to make sure all of the built up steam has been released. Remove any accessories such brushes and cloths, and clean and dry them according to the instructions that came with your machine. Unscrew the boiler cap and empty any remaining water into your sink. It’s really important not to leave water in your cleaner, to avoid mineral build up and ensure the longevity of your machine.
Once you’ve emptied the water tank, loosely screw the boiler cap back on. There’s no need to tighten it up, as this will just make it more difficult next time you come to clean. Keep your steam cleaner upright in a cool, dark storage area.
Handheld portable steam cleaners are great for small areas, but if you need to handle bigger jobs, check our our list of the best steam cleaners. They’re more expensive than handheld cleaners, but you get a lot more power and features.
Frequently asked questions
Most people have a few questions before they take the plunge and buy a handheld steam cleaner. Here are some of the most common questions:
How do handheld steam cleaners work?
Handheld steam cleaners consist of a water tank, a boiler, and a head or nozzle. You fill the tank with water, which is then heated in the boiler. This forms dry vapor or steam, which is released at high pressure through the head or nozzle of the cleaner. The heat and pressure of the steam combine to loosen dirt on your surfaces.
Are steam cleaners good for pet owners?
Steam cleaners are great for pet owners, as they are excellent for removing pet odors and stains. You can get specialised models that are designed specifically for removing pet odors, but even a regular steam cleaner will do the job well with the addition of some vinegar or detergent.
What happens to the dirt?
Some people think that the steam makes the dust evaporate. This isn’t true, but depending on the model of steam cleaner, the brush head will absorb the dirt, or you might need to wipe over with a clean cloth to remove any remaining dirt.
What is vapor steam good for cleaning?
Vapor steam is great for a wide range of cleaning purposes around the house, including killing dust mites, cleaning tiles, bathrooms and kitchen sinks, and removing pet stains and odors. Just be careful not to use your steam cleaner on vinyl floors, as it can cause damage to them.
Last update on 2021-05-07 / Most affiliate links and/or Images from Amazon Product Advertising API