Everyone suffers through some health issues in life. While most of them require a visit to the doctor, some minor health issues can be easily managed at home, such as the flu, the common cold and a cough.
Vicks is the brand that has been helping people find relief from cough and cold for decades. Its over-the-counter medications are used by many to fight coughing fits or sinus issues. But these medications are not the only health-friendly products by Vicks.
Today, Vicks is one of the top producers of home humidifiers. And just like their medicine, their humidifiers provide relief to millions across the globe.
A humidifier is a simple machine that produces moisture to increase humidity in the air. This is especially helpful in winters when natural humidity drops to around 10-20% from the recommended indoor range which is 30% to 50%.
This becomes the cause for nasal and throat related diseases because the human body is not used to the dryness. Our mucus membranes dry up, creating these health issues.
This is something the humidifier helps with!
It provides the needed boost to a room or a hall’s humidity, keeping it at levels comfortable for our body. This not only makes for irritation-free sleep but prevents the chances of developing colds and coughs as well.
Best Vicks Humidifiers of 2021
Here is our list of some of the best Vicks humidifiers you can buy this year. This list includes both the cool and warm mist humidifiers.
1. Visible Cool Mist Humidifier (V4600) – Our No. 1 Pick
One of the most widely used and revered Humidifiers manufactured by Vicks; the V4600 is a great choice. It doesn’t just help with the humidity, but also lets you use medicated pads. This works out great if you need medicated vapor to help with your cold.
While only weighing 4 pounds, the V4600 has a maximum capacity of 1.2 Gallons of water. This means that it can provide 30 hours of cool mist in an average sized room! It does not require frequent refills, even if you blast it up to maximum. It shuts off automatically once the tank gets empty, so the machine doesn’t unnecessarily work.
Thanks to its ultrasonic ceramic plates doing all the work super quietly, you will not be disturbed by its operation. It has a pleasing look and doesn’t clash with the décor. The lighted dial lets you change the setting at any time during the night and you can choose the direction of the mist as well.
Another great feature is that it’s filter-free. Therefore it’s super easy and cost effective to maintain.
- Less refills thanks to large capacity
- Completely noiseless
- Medication pads can be added
- Filter free
- Mist setting and directions can be easily modified
- Relatively bulky
- More expensive than other options
- Mold builds up if not regularly cleaned
2. Vicks Mini Filter Free Cool Mist Humidifier (VUL520W) – Small But Strong
This little guy is the best pick for smaller rooms. For most parents, this is the preferred choice for a kid’s room, as it also helps with the medication. This Vicks humidifier comes with an integrated scent pad heater that lets you use Vicks VapoPads.
It is much smaller in size than its counterparts. That means it’s easier to carry and keep in a room without disturbing the décor. The tank capacity is 0.5 gallons which will keep the mists going for 10 hours, enough for a good night’s sleep.
Its operation is ultra-quiet; it won’t disturb you or the children in their sleep. It is filter-free as well, which means that it will not require costly replacements.
Portability is the core attraction of VUL520W. Size restrictions make it not so suitable for master bedrooms or halls, but for smaller rooms, like nurseries, it’s the perfect choice.
- Easy to clean
- Attractive design
- Allows medication pads
- No costly filters
- Portable and easy to accommodate
- Limited to only small rooms
- Limited hours of operation due to small capacity
- Possibility of developing noise overtime
3. Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier with Auto Shut Off (V745A)
Our first warm mist humidifier on this list. The V745A is a beautiful piece of equipment that not just helps you with the humidity; it also helps you with germ control.
In a room where someone has a cold, there are already enough germs. The unintentional spread of more germs would only worsen the situation. Therefore the V745A produced warm mist by evaporating the water, eliminating more than 95% germs in the water.
The unit holds one gallon of water, allowing up to 12 hours of warm mist in low settings. Though the water would run out sooner if you amp up the settings.
For medication dispersion to help with itchy throat or cough, the medicinal cup in the V745A can be used. Vicks VapoSteam liquid can be poured directly into the cup to be dispersed.
- Medicinal cup for efficient dispersion
- Auto shut off feature
- Warm mist contributes to heating of the room in winters
- Two settings to choose from as per your comfort level
- Requires regular maintenance otherwise develops leaking issues
- Can feel uncomfortably warm if you use it in warmer season
- Not as quiet as other humidifiers
4. Vicks Starry Night Cool Moisture Humidifier (V3700) – Beautiful Unit for Kids
It doesn’t often happen that your utilities are beautiful or fun enough to keep the kids engaged. It does if you choose Vicks starry night humidifier.
The starry night humidifier has a beautiful and unique feature; it has a small LED projector that displays stars on your roof that change color. In addition to soothing your throat, it soothes the eyes as well and is especially attractive for kids.
It has a beautiful pyramid design, and comes with two dials, one to control the lights and the other to choose between two operating modes, max and sleep. Max is for humidifying your room as early as possible while sleep mode is to aid you in a soothing sleep.
It allows Vapopads as well, adding scent and medication to your peaceful sleep. A filter is installed to deal with the contaminants in the water. The one-gallon tank ensures the production of cool mist for 24 hours. Its size makes it perfect for a medium-sized room.
- Whisper quiet operation
- Perfect for children’s room
- Additional feature of beautiful lights
- Two appropriate settings for maximum output and quiet sleep
- Filter needs to be replaced
- Room lighting needs to be dimmed for proper attraction of starry night feature
5. Vicks Warm Mist Humidifier (V750) – Warm but Cool Looking
An expensive younger brother to the V745A, the V750 warm mist humidifier is actually bigger. Its larger tank allows it to keep producing mist for up to 24 hours.
It’s also very light weight, making it the perfect portable humidifier if you travel a lot and want to take your humidifier with you. Being an ultrasonic humidifier, its operation is ultra quiet. A wicking filter cleans the water before turning it into mist.
You can use Vicks Menthol VapoPads to make the mist even more soothing. The warm mist can make the room feel much more comfortable on cold winter nights.
- Easy to clean
- Refilling process is very simple
- Great for cold regions
- Very quiet
- Some consumers find it leaking after a few month of operation
- Requires cleaning and replacement of filters
6. Vicks Ultrasonic Cool Mist Humidifier (V5100NS) – A Cool Choice
This is another ultrasonic cool mist humidifier, helping people with the dryness in the air and the usual nasal and throat problems that come with it.
This version allows you to control the direction of the mist. It makes for a more than usual soothing experience. Vapopads can also be used with it, allowing you to specifically direct the medicated and scented mist towards or away from the bed.
Make sure that when you are not using it, keep it completely empty. This will prolong the life of the filters.
Price-wise it’s a bit expensive, but it’s good value for money. It can run up to 12 hours and is sufficient for rooms having an area up to 500 square feet.
- Filter cartridge is very efficient
- Humidity level can be controlled
- Quiet operation
- Expensive unit
- Design is relatively bulky
- Regular cleaning is necessary
7. Vicks V3100 – Filtered Cool Moisture Humidifier
The V3100 has a cool, funky look. It has a 1-gallon capacity that lets it produce mist for 18 hours straight.
A special evaporation technology ensures efficient production of cool mist and its even distribution. It comes with two comfort settings and Vicks’ characteristic 3-year warranty. Its antibacterial wicking filter helps trap any impurities in the water, ensuring that the mist does not have any white dust.
- 18 hour operation
- Special evaporation technology
- Efficient filtering
- Noisy on high setting
- Filter change adds to the maintenance cost
8. Vicks V4500 Filterfree Humidifier – Compact and Easy to Use Unit
Vicks V4500 is a filter free unit that is not ultrasonic. It’s a rare combination. Despite not being ultrasonic, the unit is noiseless, and perfect for good night’s sleep.
In addition to providing you with the ease to never have to change the filter, this unit is easy to refill. It also has Vicks Vapor Therapy, which allows you to enhance the experience and add a medicinal property to the mist when necessary.
It is also Protec ball compatible.
- Easy to refill
- Mist intensity can be adjusted
- No need for filters and their replacement
- Less pricy
- Cleaning can be a bit complicated
- Needs to be cleaned and dried few times a week for proper operation
- Looks like a glorified kettle
9. Vicks V3500N Cool Mist Humidifier – Invisible Mist Producer
This is a unit which is quickly gaining popularity with its users thanks to its antibacterial filters. These filters provide a much cleaner mist than other humidifiers.
This unit produces an invisible mist to keep the humidity level of your room at the right level. It’s a natural humidifier which produces clean and healthy mist for 12 hours per filling. The tank can be easily removed for cleaning.
- Naturally produces mist
- Easy to clean
- Bacterial filter for thorough cleaning
- Filter needs to be replaced
- Noisy on high setting
- Frequent maintenance
10. Vicks Germ Free Cool Moisture Humidifier (V3900) – The Germ Free Option
This unit is especially efficient against germs. It eliminates 99.99% of bacteria and germs in the water, providing you with extra clean mist.
Its 1-gallon capacity allows for 24 hours of operation per filling. Its patented UV light chamber, coupled with its filter allows for efficient cleaning of the water before turning it into the mist. It is fast acting, with just 2 hours of continuous use in high setting allowing for 99.99% clean water and mist.
Unlike other units, it provides three output settings.
- Especially efficient against germs
- Long operational time
- Quite operation
- Requires very frequent cleaning and drying of the unit
- No auto shutoff when the unit gets empty
- Filter has to be saturated every time
Vicks Humidifiers Buyer’s Guide
A humidifier is a great way to alleviate the nasty gifts of dry air: Nasal irritation, throat soreness etc.
But choosing the right humidifier can be a bit tricky. Especially if you get overwhelmed by a lot of models and don’t know what you actually need.
So we have prepared a useful little guide for you. It contains some of the things that you should know before choosing the right humidifier. The right choice will ensure you less sleepless nights, literally.
Types of Humidifiers
Generally, humidifiers come in two types: Warm mist and Cool mist. Both add moisture and help keep the right humidity level of the room. They both have their merits and issues and going for either can depend a lot upon your personal preference as well as circumstance.
Warm mist humidifiers heat up the water. Once it’s boiled, the humidifier releases the resulting steam into the air. The mist in this case is warm and might be uncomfortable in summers or in areas where there is constant heat.
Cool mist humidifiers produce colder mists. Three different methods are used to produce cool mist: Impeller, evaporative and ultrasonic.
- Impellers use a rotating disc to produce the mist.
- Evaporators use a fan that blows air over a wet wick.
- Ultrasonic ones employ a vibrating nebulizer to produce mist.
For a comfortable environment, the humidity in the air, especially indoors, should be between 30% and 50%. The dry air of winter can drop the humidity down to 10%. Even if you heat the air using space heaters or a conventional fireplace, winter air holds less moisture and needs humidifiers for the correct level of moisture in the air.
Humidifiers are classified into three categories: Small, medium and large.
- Small humidifiers should used for rooms with an area less than 300 square feet.
- Medium humidifiers for 300 to 500 square feet
- Large humidifiers for 500 to 1000 square feet.
Vicks humidifiers often come with two medicinal options:
- Medicated pad heaters that can accommodate Vicks Vapopad.
- Medicinal cups that can be used to pour the liquid medicine directly, that can be distributed along with the mist.
- It’s better to choose a unit that has at least one of these options.
Other Features to Check
Some general features you should check in every humidifier.
- Ease of cleaning – Every humidifier needs cleaning. Make sure you choose the one that is easy to clean.
- Ease of Use – Humidifiers are generally easy to use. Some of them are easier to install and keep as well. See if the unit you are choosing requires any special instructions like the surface that it should be kept on.
- Noise – Humidifiers are generally used at night, as it helps people with sleep. Choose a unit that is either completely quiet or relatively noiseless.
- Price – Vicks humidifiers are relatively less pricy, pick the one that suits your needs and helps you stay within your budget.
Choosing a humidifier can get very easy if you decide to opt for a Vicks humidifier. They are reliable, reasonably priced, and allow medicinal additives. The right humidifier will not only let you sleep peacefully, but also prevent a host of health issues from rising up due to dry air.
Last update on 2021-03-01 / Most affiliate links and/or Images from Amazon Product Advertising API